
College is a microcosm of interacting social circles. One of the things that I took from high school was the enjoyment of floating around between a good number of the circles of people. At Tufts, the circles, of course, are for greater in variety, size and influence, but nevertheless I have found my way into a number which could be very useful outreaches in trying to influence the student body.
Tufts Wilderness Orientation (TWO):
This is perhaps one of my best resources; it's a group of almost 100 like-minded individuals that are connected to almost every corner of Tufts in some way or another. Being the outdoorsy types, they are also generally receptive to environmental issues which is perfect for our course AND they are very active and responsive e-list and e-mail threads that could mobilize all 100+ people in a very short time.
Tufts Mountain Club (TMC):
TMC and TWO are very closely linked (there is a lot of cross-over between the two groups,) but since TMC reaches a much broader base of people, many of whom are also eco-minded individuals, and could be very effective and influential and amassing people to be behind a program.
Hillel Moral Voices
Moral Voices is a part of Hillel that picks a topic each year to focus on concerning an issue of contemporary moral concern (last year was Environmental Justice; this year is Education.) Thus with direct links to people high up in the Hillel program, it is a valuable connection have. Hillel is very well- established and funded and reaches a huge number of students on campus, who may be more inclined to participate in something that is supported by Hillel.
Tufts Ballroom Dance:
I am a tri-captain of the Ballroom Dance team. Although we rarely use the e-lists and practice to advocate issues other than ballroom, we have over 70 active members at the moment and over 300 people on our e-list, both alumni and current students. It is a large resource which could very easily be taken advantage of. This could also have implications in the greater Drama/Dance department.
Bay Area Pride:
There are a TON of students from the SF Bay Area and those form the class of 2012 have formed a reasonably tight connection surrounding our shared roots. Although not a formal organization, nor something with a set e-list, it is a groupable set of people who are active in the community and very accustomed to the activist image of San Francisco.
Swimming and Diving Team:
I am also, currently, a member of the Men's Varsity Diving team. This group of individuals is certainly an enthusiastic one, although sometime the results of this enthusiasm are more similar to a frat. Nevertheless, the 40+ members of the men's team and 40+ members of the women's team represent a diverse set of people that, like TWO, have very active e-lists that could lead to easily spreadable information and potentially quick action in response. Also, a huge number of these folks are in the frat ATO, which could mean a Greek connection as well.
These are the biggest groups of connections that I can think of - there definitely other, smaller sets of connections (friends, hallmates, etc.) that could be reached out to. I think that such a diverse set of connections will be really helpful in disseminating information and raises enthusiasm for our cause. Once we nail down the details, I won't hesitate to call on them!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is hope if people will begin to awaken that spiritual part of themselves, that heartfelt knowledge that we are caretakers of this planet. ~Brooke Medicine Eagle

Hey ,
ReplyDeletesounds like you are involved in some cool groups on campus. I am an smfa student so I dont know about a lot of the groups. I would love to go and check some out, especially the ballroom dancing. let me know when they meet!