Monday, November 9, 2009

Symposium Success

One of the most exciting things for me is to feel connected - to people, to ideas, to influential and knowledgeable groups - I think that's something most people gain pleasure out of. This past weekend, students from over 15 schools joined together in the discussion and planning of Eco Reps programs at their respective schools. These were students and faculty, passionate about environmental issues and intent on creating positive change, who have been or plan on being integrally entwined in the environmental movements on thier campuses.

It was really exciting to interact with these people - peers and adults alike - on issues that I feel strongly about. Even though I didn't meet many people on a highly personal level, I think the symposium acted to helped create a superordinate identity (just learned about those in PSY 32) around with everyone there could unify. I look forward to the Facebook group that was proposed throughout the evening. On top of that, I met and exchanged info with a girl from Northeastern about their efforts to go trayless; she was really excited about our project and is happy to exchange any and all info that she has used thus far (primarily an informative PPT presentation used to appeal to adminstrators.) I look forward to seeing how this relationship grows in the near future!
------------------------------------------------------------------
"If civilization has risen from the Stone Age, it can rise again from the Wastepaper Age."
~Jacques Barzun, The House of Intellect, 1959

No comments:

Post a Comment