So, since this is supposed to be the ACTUAL blog entry, let me talk a little but about by environmental escapades over break:
My family is fairly open to the idea of environmentalism, but mostly as long as it is not an inconvenience. As Rachael mentioned in class, my mom especially is an adherent to the idea that she has worked her way up to be able to support a certain quality of lifestyle and that she shouldn't need to inconvenience herself to change to something else. When I am home, I am typically the environmental conscience, so when I arrived home, I was a little disappointed to see that there was little regard for turning of lights or the TV when rooms were vacant. Additionally, the accumulation of kitschy Christmas decorations is reaching maximum capacity for me. That we spend so much money on items that are on display for only a month a year is just too artificial for me.
Nevertheless, we did have a lot of good conversations about various environmental topics. For example, how I am still sort of a vegetarian, but with caveat (ex: would eat sustainable, local beef over conventionally raised pork.) We also discussed Copenhagen and our trayless campaign. Most of the conversations, though, seemed like they were humoring me. Alas, I'll keep chipping away at them. What are family members for if not influencing each other with ideas and behaviors?
Monday, November 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment